Aftermath of Saudi bombing, Yemen (image via Nasser Arrabyee)
Graphic video footage and photographs have appeared on social media today purporting to show the aftermath of a Saudi Arabian airstrike on Yemen. The Saudi government are targeting Houthis, a Shiite rebel group from northern Yemen, strikes have been ongoing for months.
Yesterday 6th July 2015, there were reports of a Saudi bombing which hit a livestock market in the Fayoush district, Lahj province in the south of the country. Associated Press alleged there were at least 45 dead and more than 50 wounded. Images posted on social media by Nasser Arrabyee, a journalist and film-maker from Sanaa claim to show bombing of a cattle market in Lahj, South Yemen on Monday “which killed 50 shoppers and injured others”. He also tweeted photos claiming a Saudi jet had bombed a vegetable market in Amran, North Yemen which allegedly” killed more than 40 people” with others injured, again on Monday.”
Poignant images show the remains of what appear to be shoppers and store-holders torn apart as they went about their daily business. People and animals were struck down alike with locals left to collect the body parts and swill away pools of congealing blood. A video shows the extent of horrific injuries as covers are thrown back to reveal mutilated corpses, the wounded lie in shock awaiting treatment.
Yemen is being supported by the US but there is very little cover in the media. As Glenn Greenwald reports, “because these deaths of innocents are at the hands of the US government and its despotic allies, it is very predictable how they will be covered in the U.S. None of the families will be profiled in American media; it’ll be very surprising if any of their names are mentioned.”
Reuters news agency reported that,
“Saudi-led coalition air strikes and clashes killed at least 176 fighters and civilians in Yemen on Monday, residents and media run by the Houthi movement said, the highest daily toll since the Arab air offensive began more than three months ago.”
Last week the UN designated the war in Yemen “a Level 3 humanitarian crisis” the most severe category which places the country on the same level as Syria. As far back as April, one month after strikes began, Said Boumedouha, Deputy Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Programme called for an urgent investigation into the Saudi Arabian-led campaign of airstrikes across Yemen stating,
“the month-long campaign of air strikes carried out by Saudi Arabia and its allies has transformed many parts of Yemen into a dangerous place for civilians. Millions of people have been forced to live in a state of utter terror, afraid of being killed at home. Many feel they are left with no choice but to move away from their destroyed villages to an uncertain future.”
Nasser Arrabyee, tweeted the following words accompanied by a series of GRAPHIC photos,
Saudi war criminals jets killed more than 120 Yemeni civilians including women & children in bombings in many places on Monday
Saudi war criminals killed more than 50 shoppers & injured dozens in cattle market in Lahj South Yemen Monday1
Saudi war criminals jets killed more than 40 people & injured N vegetable market in Amran North Yemen Monday1
This is how Saudi war criminals want humans 2 be with approval from all! Killing hundreds of Yemen shoppers1
Haykal Bafana, a lawyer from Yemen tweeted,
Medecins San Frontiere, an international medical organization providing support in the country reported on 25th June that it had received more than 3,800 injured war wounded since 19 March 2015. Ban ki-Moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations has called for Saudi airstrikes to cease but there appears to be no let up in the bombing despite this being the Holy month of Ramadan.
On June 30th Human Rights Watch issued a report and press release stating that Saudi airstrikes inflicted on Saada City, in northern Yemen since April 2015 appeared to be in violation of the laws of war, they said,
“the 47-page report, “Targeting Saada: Unlawful Coalition Airstrikes on Saada in Yemen,” documents a dozen airstrikes on the Houthi stronghold that destroyed or damaged civilian homes, five markets, a school, and a petrol station, though there was no evidence these sites were being used for military purposes. These strikes killed 59 people, reported to have been civilians between April 6 and May 11. At least 35 children were among those killed.”
“Today’s civilian crisis in Yemen will be ignored because US and its allies are responsible”
Carol AnneGrayson is an independent writer/researcher on global health/human rights and is Executive Producer of the Oscar nominated, Incident in New Baghdad . She is a Registered Mental Nurse with a Masters in Gender Culture and Development. Carol was awarded the ESRC, Michael Young Prize for Research 2009, and the COTT ‘Action = Life’ Human Rights Award’ for “upholding truth and justice”. She is also a survivor of US “collateral damage”.